Optimised fotoalbum available

March 12, 2006 — Leave a comment

Today I played a bit with my [fotoalbum](/development/fotoalbum/). I learned that I made a whole **lot** of database queries which are not necessary at all. So I began making optimisations to improve performance.

After adding a query counter and looking at some queries and code I found out how to improve the behaviour given. The thing that created most of the queries (>60%) was the recursive function *isPublished()*. But this function is needed to successfully tell if an image is published or not. So what to do? Use caching!

The cache did a good job, but could not reduce the number of queries the way I wanted it to be. So I tried harder on optimising queries, loops and object creation.

Finally I could gain a reduction of about **93%** of the queries made when it was not optimised at all. This is great, you know, because an image gallery should not eat that much server performance.

Well, go to [my installation of fotoalbum](/fotoalbum/) if you’d like to see it in action. If you like it, then you can also [get a copy](/download/) of it! If something fails then please report it to [the fotoalbum page](/development/fotoalbum/) so I can help you or at least fix the problem.

No Comments

Be the first to start the conversation!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s